Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Rapid Prototyping

Rapid prototyping is a technique used to fabricate physical models using 3D data.  It's also commonly referred to as simply "3D printing."   I had become interested in the process a few years back and decided to experiment with some of my own 3D work.   I have to admit, the main reason why I wanted to research the process was because I wanted to make toys!   

My favorite show growing up was Batman and as an avid toy collector, there was nothing I wanted to see more than action figures based on those great designs!  Unfortunately in the 40+ years of the show's existence we never saw a single toy manufactured!  

**sidebar - as of today several companies such as Mattel, Hot Toys and NECA have begun producing such toys!**

Because of the 3D printing technology, I no longer had to dream - I would just make my own! The process is fairly simple, but not particularly easy. The first thing you have to do is build the 3D model.   Once you have that, you can send it off to a 3D printing vendor (there are several out there - a quick Google search will give you just what you need).   



Once I received my 3D printed models, I created a mold for them so that I could create plastic resin duplicates.  This way I could make multiple copies and have more than one attempt at painting them!


In the case of  The Green Hornet character, the 3D printing technique enabled me to make separate pieces for the head, the mask and the hat.  This way I could give the figure a more accurate look, and also have cool removable costume pieces!!  

Separate 3D printed mask and hat pieces painted

Once painted, the pieces are put together.



Painted Batman head on figure body
The process is a lot of fun, but as previously mentioned, not easy - and NOT cheap.  But it was certainly interesting research to test out the technology.  I'm looking forward to making more toys in the future!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.

    Rapid prototyping service china

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is very helpful and informative for this particular topic. I appreciate your effort that has been taken to write this blog for us. Large quantity prototyping

    ReplyDelete